Tuesday, March 17, 2015

How Did Running Change You?

One of my favorite magazines to read is Runner's World. On the website, they have motivational stories that share how people have been transformed by their running journey. I was reading through them and decided that I should write my own. So here's my story...

NAME: Evie Edwards
AGE: 31-derful
OCCUPATION: High School Teacher
HOMETOWN: San Antonio, Texas ( I guess I don't say my childhood hometown anymore which is kind of weird)
FAMILY: My boys- husband- Cory, Son- Carter
1. What prompted you to start working out?
I started working out in earnest and focusing on my health and nutrition in the fall of 2006. I had spent most of my childhood and my entire college life overweight. I had just started dating Cory and I wanted to feel better about my physical appearance and also feel better physically.
2. How did you start?
 I started working out by attending group exercise classes at the Texas Tech Rec Center- kickboxing, step, spin, weight lifting. I didn't actually start my running journey until the Spring of 2011.
3. Describe your regular workout routine.
 I try to workout ideally 6 times per week. 4 runs and 2 cross-training or yoga days.
3. What was the biggest hurdle to working out and how did you get over it?
Initially it was not having confidence in my ability to complete the exercises or sticking out in class. I started going to the classes though and had so much fun I soon got over those initial insecurities. In running, I really didn't think I could do it initially. My runs were so hard for the first month and full of a lot of self-Doubt. I got through it by just continuing to go out each day and try and looking for small things to improve.
4. What's the most rewarding part of your running life?
 The best part of running for me is working towards a goal and having the satisfaction and pride of saying that you completed it! Nothing beats a finish line high.
5. Did you have a weight-loss goal?
When I started my fitness journey I wanted to lose 50 pounds. I weighed 190 pounds which on my small frame was a lot of weight to carry around. I eventually went down to around 140 give or take a few pounds. When I was pregnant with my son I gained about 45 pounds so my weight loss journey began a new following his birth. I recently have gotten back down to around 145 and hope to continue on with a healthy happy fitness filled lifestyle.
6. What’s the secret to your weight-loss success?
Consistent exercise routines and making healthy sustainable choices in eating have given me the most long-term success
7. What kinds of changes did you make to what and how you ate?
I am most successful when I track what is going in my mouth. I like the myfitnesspal app. I alaotry to focus on getting well-rounded choices that include all the macro-nutrients I need and I also credit Shakeology with my recent success in losing weight.
8. What advice would you give to a beginner or someone just starting out?
Give yourself time to get better. I would say it took me a solid 1-2 months before I actually started to like running. Sign up for a fun race with a friend and commit to training.
9. What are your favorite motivational quotes?
-It always seems impossible until it is done. ~ Nelson Mandela
10. What's your idea of a Rave Run?
I went to New York City shortly after I started running and was so jealous of a race that was going through Central Park and wished I could have been part of it. I hope to run a half-marathon through Central Park one day. I am also looking forward to visiting Northern California this summer and hopefully going on some runs there!

11. What's your must-have running gear?
I love the Brooks Ghost series of shoes and my Nike+ Running App on my iPhone. I also love CW-X tights (capri length) and Feetures Moisture Wicking Socks and Sweaty Bands headbands. Other than those things I'm a minimalist!

No comments:

Post a Comment