Sunday, January 8, 2012

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

As soon as I crossed the finish line in November, I knew that I wanted to sign up for another race. It took awhile to decide if that race would be another half or if I was actually crazy enough to sign up --and pay-- to run 26.2 miles.  It took  a month following the half to for me to be physically capable of running any distance as my body was protesting what I had just put it through with a cold and some pain in my IT band.  I picked out a couple of races at both distances to leave my options open in case my body decided that 13.1 was about as much crazy as it could handle.

Around Christmas, I started to be able to log some legitimate miles again without my knee screaming in protest.  After I was able to complete 8 miles last weekend and 9 miles this weekend, I decided to  commit. On January 29, I'm running the 3M Half in Austin-- good news, it's pretty much all downhill and most people I've talked to have PRed on this course. (Plus the swag bag has been voted one of the best :) )My goal is to get done in 1:59:59 or less.  This race was easy for me to sign up for because I know I can do this.

The marathon still seems a bit more out of my reach. I actually had to pump myself up to sign up for this one. Today as I was sitting at home, I watched a documentary called "Spirit of the Marathon" which chronicles the journey of several people preparing to run the Chicago Marathon.  My favorite part of the movie was that they followed all different kinds of people from elites (absolutely incredible) to everyday people, and even some who run slower than me. Good news--- they all crossed the finish line. Even though the documentary also reminded me that the first marathoner from Ancient Greece did actually drop dead upon finishing his run, I went ahead and signed up for the Big D Texas Marathon in Dallas on April 15.
 

In other training news, I've started to run some days before school which actually has worked out pretty nicely seeing that when I get home I don't have to worry about running. Downside is that I am now ready for bed at approximately 9pm. 

Training Runs This Week
Monday: 3 miles
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Saturday: 10 miles

One mile at a time---

No comments:

Post a Comment