Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kissing the Wall---

 
"Everyone is an athlete. The only difference is that some of us are in training, and some are not."  
  
 ~ George Sheehan





Yesterday, I rolled out of bed, laced up my running shoes, and packed my energy gel and went to the gym. I knew I could do it but whenever I run a new distance I get a little nervous. But, I did it. I ran 20 miles. The last five miles were not easy-- my feet hurt; I was distracted with the other things I had going on that day. But, I was mentally and physically strong enough to finish 20 miles on my own---on a treadmill. 
3.19.2011-Warrior Dash
This was me a year ago--- 
Visually, I pretty much look the same, but mentally and physically, I am completely different. This girl couldn't run a consecutive mile and wasn't entirely confident that she would ever be able to do it. This race is where my mindset changed and I became discontent with what I was willing to accept as my reality.  My change has been slow in some regards-- like those slow first miles-- but very quick in many others. If I can change my thinking and confidence and physical ability from where I was in this picture to where I am now-- then I am excited to see what growth will take place in the next year.  Running has made me so much stronger in so many ways. It has been a place for me to challenge myself-- but also challenge others.  It's an exciting time--- 

Also, I'm 4 weeks away from being a marathoner-- exciting, scary, crazy!

One mile at a time....

No comments:

Post a Comment